Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Teen Recommendations



I asked book recommendations from two teenage sisters. One is a Freshman in High School and the other is a Junior. They both said they love books by Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult. They said one of their current favorites is the The Last Song. I'm not sure if these book are exactly "young adult" literature but I went with their recommendations anyway.


I chose a book by Jodi Picoult since I have already read two books by Nicholas Sparks.I chose the book My Sister's Keeper and surprisingly it was not a good read to me. It was very hard to get through and it seems as though the author was just dragging the reader along. It was a slow book and I found this interesting since this type of read is one of my favorites. It was almost painful to get through the end!


This book is about a girl that was born with a rare type of leukemia and struggles her whole life battling it. Her parents purposely conceive another child in order to use some of her organs and blood when needed. The younger daughter finds out that she was born to save her sister's life and revolts against her parents and family. She tries to sue her parents for "using" her without her authorization. There are many small stories that go along in the book and an interesting and almost unrealistic ending.


I was not pleased with this book at all.The authors of these books appeal to young teenage girls because of the sweet story lines. There is almost always a love story involved that ends happily. Many producers have also started turning the books into movies which I'm sure is also very appealing to them.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

agreed...
i've read a lot of books by both of them. They write very differently...

I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of how Jodi Picoult skips around so much in her books...
however, i did somewhat enjoy 'My Sister's Keeper' as the movie haha