Thursday, November 4, 2010

Biography/Memoir


I chose Becoming Billie Holiday for no particular reason but enjoyed this nontraditional biography read. The author tells Billie Holiday's story through poetic verses as well as several illustrations that portray her life. The illustrations have very few colors which seem to dramatize the meanings. I could see how a person very interested in Billie Holiday and her music would truly enjoy and appreciate this book. It is a beautiful, easy read about an African American that encountered many hardships throughout her life.

Photographer: Into War-Torn Afghanistan with Doctors without Borders was one of the most nontraditional biographies/memoirs I have ever seen. The book includes real photos from journalists and photographers that traveled to Afghanistan during very dangerous and tough times, however; it also includes graphic illustrations presented in a graphic novel type of setting. Personally, I would have rather the book be told only through photographs...the graphic illustrations kind of threw me off. I understand that the book was written by a collaboration of people and it was their goal to tell the story of this sad country through a nontraditional way. It was one of my least favorite reads this semester.

No comments: