Thursday, April 22, 2010

So thankful...

There are times when I wish I had a bigger house, a new car, more money, etc........

However, there are days when I come home from work and feel so thankful with the things I have been blessed with.

Scott and I both come from loving, established families and I can't thank our parents enough for raising us in such loving and stable homes.

Many kids in my class right now aren't so lucky to have what we had growing up.

Today, a student came to school and really just smelled awful. When asked if she had taken a bath yesterday, she quickly replied "No" and I'm not sure if she remembered that last time she had bathed.

She had been complaining of a stomach ache for the past two days but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. She just seemed off and very unhappy. The nurse cleaned out our "storage" shower and let her shower and get clean. She came back a different person- bright and HAPPY! All she needed was a nice bath :(

I can't imagine living like this and never will.

It breaks my heart when my students bring baggies full of pennies, nickels and dimes so they can get that one book order. OR when they talk about things that happen at home which they should NOT have to deal with at 9 years old.

BUT I am so thankful I can be in their lives and give them a little touch of hope.

I know... this is sappy and deep but I just thought of this while I was in the shower.

We may not always be happy with what we have, but we can be thankful :)


No comments: